Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Accommodation Scholarship
About this scholarshipThis scholarship was established in 2018 to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who are living away from their home and community. The scholarship covers the cost of accommodation, so you can concentrate on your studies and make the most of the university experience. As part of this scholarship students will be invited to demonstrate their knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures by running 2 sessions (1 per semester) as part of the Residential Life program of the ACU Living and Learning Community.
ValueThe scholarship will cover the full cost of rent and application fee for the minimum duration of the recipient’s course. This does not include cleaning fees, damage or replacement of key/cards
There are eight scholarships available, which will be distributed between campuses as below:
2 x Brisbane
2 x Sydney
2 x Melbourne
1 x Ballarat
1 x Canberra
Student typeFuture Students or Current Students
EligibilityStudents who meet all of the following criteria are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Citizenship: Australian
- Target group: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Faculty: any
- Course: any ACU undergraduate degree
- Campus: any
- Required study load: full-time
- Financial hardship
- Contribution to, and/or leadership in, community service
Application processPlease provide the following as part of the application:
- A written statement of approximately 300 words outlining:
- Why have you chosen to undertake your degree?
- How do you engage with the Indigenous community and how does this reflect the mission and values of ACU?
- How will obtaining your degree allow you to give back to the Indigenous community?
- Evidence of your contribution to and/or leadership in community service.
Selection criteriaApplications are assessed based on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Community service
Selection processRecipients will be selected by a selection committee comprised of representatives from the First Peoples and Equity Pathways Directorate.
Ongoing requirementsTo remain eligible for scholarship payments, recipients are required to maintain the following:
- A full-time study load